Spicy Blackened Fish, creamy slaw, and a spicy southwestern sauce make these blackened fish tacos ah-mazing!
The blackened fish tacos are so easy and flavorful. With the creamy slaw, it is a perfect balance to the spicy blackening seasoning. The slight sweetness of the slaw goes perfectly with the smoky heat of the blackened fish. And with the spicy southwestern sauce, will have your mouth in flavor town!
What Fish Is Best For Tacos
- Mahi Mahi
I like to use tilapia, but all of the fish listed are great options!
Always Toast Your Tortillas
- It really magnifies their flavor and helps strengthen the tacos so that you can fill them without them ripping apart.
Blackened Fish Tacos
- 1 bag coleslaw mix, shredded cabbage and carrots
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Southwestern Sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more if you it hotter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 whole tilapia fillets about 1 1/2- 2 pounds
- 3 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 corn tortillas
- In a medium bowl mix together the mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, white vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix in the coleslaw mix. set aside
- Prepare the southern sauce by mixing the sour cream, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, cilantro, and juice of 1 lime in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the tilapia both sides and the edges generously with the cajun seasoning
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Once the butter melts add fillets and cook about 3 minutes per side, or until blackened
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, toast the tortillas on each side until browned on the edges. Place the toasted tortillas on a plate and cover to keep warm.
- To serve the tacos, place about a piece of the blackened tilapia, 1/4 cup coleslaw in each tortilla, southwestern sauce, chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime over top.
Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #saltedyum