This sandwich is buttery, creamy, salty, and slightly sweet. Using the ham helps balance out all the flavors, and the raspberry jam makes the whole thing come together perfectly balancing the saltiness with a hint of sweet fruit.
A Donut Sandwich?!
- A glazed doughnut, sliced in half, buttered and pan-fried with a slice of cheese and ham in between. This sandwich has the perfect balanced combination of sweet and savory. The name says it all, so we won’t go into too much else…
You probably know what a mcgriddle is. Its Pancakes with sausage egg and cheese as a sandwich from McDonald’s. Now I am not encouraging you to eat this lol. But what my husband loves about it is that it’s sweet but savory.
I decided to make him something similar but with a twist.
Now usually when it comes to making a Monte Cristo sandwich you use regular bread. This time I thought why not a donut?! It’s sweet, tie that in with the savory cheese and ham with a little sweetness! and BOOM! There’s a party in your mouth
Monte Cristo Donut Sandwich
- 1 tablespoons butter, for frying
- 4 Krispy Kreme glazed donuts, sliced horizontally
- 8 ounces thin sliced Virginia ham
- 4 slices havarti cheese
- 2 tablespoons red raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Spread a layer of mayonnaise and raspberry jam on the doughnut halves, layer each bottom half with 1 slice cheese, 2 ounces ham place the top doughnut halves on and cook until golden brown about 4 minutes, flip over and cook until the cheese gets melty. Remove doughnut from skillet. Cut. Serve. Eat.
Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #saltedyum